In May 1945, local educator Beuna Eaves Martin, with the help of other teachers, established the first library in one room of the Rockwall County Courthouse. In 1978, the library moved to a former church building at the corner of Washington and Fannin Streets. In 1991, Rockwall County and the City of Rockwall jointly purchased the U.S. Post Office building located at 105 South First Street to house the library. In 2003, the entire 10,000 square feet became available for library use.
Friends enlisted widespread community support for the construction of a new county library building financed by two bond elections, one in 2000 to purchase land and a second election in 2004 that provided $11.5 million dollars in construction bonds for the new building, basic furniture, fixtures, and equipment. Friends formed a Capital Campaign Committee to raise money for additional furnishings, books, materials and equipment. All of these efforts culminated with the opening of the new library on September 7, 2008.